Saturday, February 20, 2010

Giving the Government a Kicking



Having voted for them in elections past, I came to the conclusion some time ago that I would be doing something to help get Labour removed from office at the next election. Voting for the party that came second in the seat where I live is one thing, but I've decided to take things a step further and seek to discourage others from voting for the party that put this proud country in such a horrible mess.

A year or so ago, there was a big fuss about lots of regional Post Offices closing. Many MPs put themselves in the glare of the media, insisting that they would campaign to stop the closures. My local Labour MP was one of them, and got herself on the front page of the local papers, photographed with demonstrators who were holding placards. She made it pretty clear in her comments in the accompanying article that she would fight for the Post Offices to remain open. So it came as a surprise when I checked http://www.theyworkforyou.com/, and found that she had gone back to Westminster and voted to close them. So, I duly wrote to the local paper, and informed its readership of her treachery. I shall be reminding readers of various local publications of her actions at various point over the coming weeks. It could well end up costing her votes.

Not all MPs have abused their expenses, so this is another way to use a Labour MP's incumbency against them at the election. I would urge anyone who wants to see the back of an MP to consider doing something similar. You don't even have to put pen to paper, many newspapers have websites, and allow you to submit letters electronically. It only takes a few minutes, and every letter is a nail in the coffin of Gordon Brown.

1 comment: